Beisel, Nicola, Imperiled Innocents: Anthony Comstock and family reproduction in Victorian America. (1996).
- Boyer, Paul S. Purity in Print: Book Censorship in America from the Gilded Age to the Computer Age (2002, 2nd ed.).
- Burns, Kate. Censorship (2007)
- Cadegan, Una M. All Good Books are Catholic Books: print culture, censorship, and modernity in twentieth-century America (2016).
- Casado, Carmelo Medina. “Legal Prudery: The Case of “Ulysses”.” Journal of Modern Literature 26, no. 1 (2002): 90-98.
Conrad, Mark. “Censorship in America.” Human Rights 10, no. 1 (1982): 28-55.
DelFattore, Joan . What Johnny Shouldn’t Read: textbook censorship in America (1992).
- Fellion, Matthew and Katherine Inglis, Censored : a literary history of subversion and control (2017).
- Gilbert, Nora. Better Left Unsaid: Victorian novels, Hays code films, and the Benefits of censorship. (2015).
- Heins, Marjorie. Not in Front of the Children: Indecency, Censorship, and the “Innocence” of Youth (2007)
- Karolides, Nicholas. Banned Books: Literature Suppressed on Political Grounds (2006).
- Karolides, Nicholas. Censored Books II: critical viewpoints, 1985-2000 (2002).
- Lambert, Josh. Unclean Lips: Obscenity, Jews, and American Culture (2013).
- Nyberg, Amy Kiste, Seal of approval : the history of the comics code (1998)
- Parker, Alison , Purifying America: Women, Cultural Reform, and Pro-Censorship Activism, 1873-1933 (1997).
- Paxton, Mark , Censorship (Historical Guides to Controversial Issues in America) (2008).
- Semonche, John E , Censoring sex : a historical journey through American media (2007).
- Shapiro, Adam , Trying Biology: the Scopes trial, textbooks, and the Anti-evolution movement in American schools (2013)
- Sova, Dawn. Banned Plays: Censorship Histories of 125 Stage Dramas (2007).
- Steinle, Pamela Hunt. In cold fear : The catcher in the rye, censorship controversies and postwar American character (2002).